Monday, January 3, 2011

Cooking with Quinoa

My mom got me a Clean Eating magazine. I've enjoyed trying out different recipes & trying new ingredients. I've recently tried Quinoa (pronounced keen-wah). It's a small grain that is similar in size to couscous, although the flavor is different. It's extremely healthy and you can substitute in almost any recipe you'd use rice or couscous in.

I was inspired by this recipe to create our lunch today. I used some leftovers (chicken, corn, diced tomatoes) from last night's dinner and topped it over cooked quinoa. I also added some cilantro & feta cheese we had in the fridge. Lunch was ready in 15 minutes! Fast, easy, & healthy!
I was surprised to find quinoa at Walmart. I have also seen it at Kroger in their organics food section at the front of the store.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks yummy!

ColleenandKendra said...

I was wondering about that stuff. I actually was going to use it in a lesson for reading---it had to do with the Q in the word in relationship to the concept I was teaching (questioning). Good to know it is yummy. I'm trying to eat healthier this year!