Friday, July 8, 2011

Baby Shower Gifts

Here's a ballerina piggy bank I made for a friend's baby shower. It was super simple! I lucked out and found everything at Hobby Lobby.

I should have planned ahead and took tutorial pictures, but I didn't, so imagine.

You need:
- 1 painted piggy bank
- 1/4 yard of tulle
- ribbon 7/8th inch thickness
- 1 bow (I'm good at making hairbows...but Hobby Lobby had these already pre-made, and with a 40 off coupon, it was too tempting to go the simple route. I just broke off the clip & hot glued that sucker on.)

For the tutu:
1. Fold the tulle in half (so you have a long skinnier piece.)
2. Use a needle and thread on the open ends and sew a running stitch from one end to the other (start with a knot.)
3. Gently pull the thread to create a gather. Measure against your pig's belly to make sure it's the right distance. Adjust gather as needed & then tie off with a knot.
4. Use your glue gun to glue the tulle, sewed side closest to the slot. (I went right at the end of it, so that it doesn't block any of the hole -- I'm feeling a lot of "that's what she said jokes" in this post.) Then glue gun a ribbon to cover up thread. Glue a hairbow on one ear & you are done! So easy!

I finished it all of with a paper mache gift box!

You need:
mod podge
5 sheets of 12x12 scrapbook paper
tulle - optional
paper mache box

Directions:
1. Measure one side of the box without the lid.
2. Cut paper 1/4-1/2 inch shorter than measurements.
3. Mod podge the paper on the box. Use a light coat. When dry, add a 2nd light coat.
4. Repeat steps for lid.
5. Let box & lid dry separately overnight.

2 comments:

ColleenandKendra said...

That is so stinkin' cute, Gwen. And I bet she LOVED it---so girly! :-)

Maria said...

Beautiful! I'm sure she loved it!