Friday, November 21, 2008

All in a day's work

Yesterday, I was so excited to have a girl's night out with my good friend Brandy. No kids or husbands allowed. We got to have an uninterrupted dinner at Chili's and then off for Christmas shopping. My goal is to be done Christmas shopping by the day after Thanksgiving. I've been off to a good start, and it will be so worth it to leisurely wrap presents and decorate through December instead of fighting the crowds.

Brandy dropped me off at 9:30 pm -- which is a late night for this preggo girl. To my surprise I walked in to a strange man shampooing our carpets. Yes, my husband had let the Kirby people in at 8 pm for a 3o minute carpet cleaning demo...and they left at 10:15 pm. It's quite an experience to entertain the Kirby people. They have a fantastic system of picking up salespeople in a van, and dropping them off (leaving them stranded) in your neighborhood. I'm sure this poor man just wanted to stay warm since his supervisor, a young woman in her best black suit from the Sears Jr. department, was off in another neighborhood trying to close deals. I will say our rug, ottoman, and hallway look fantastic. I have no doubts that the Kirby carpet cleaner/vacuums are exceptional quality, and if I had an extra $2600 laying around, we might have a new one in our hall closet. Instead we sent the Kirby guy and his "supervisor" on their way with no sale.

Here's what I learned from our Kirby experience last night.
1. When a Kirby salesperson says "it will take just a minute" or "3o minutes" they are lying.
2. A Kirby vacuum is more expensive that Jared's first car.
3. The Kirby vacuum supervisor is looking for a car herself as cheap as a Kirby vacuum.
4. We were not interested in the vacuum even though it is made "from airplane parts."
5. The Kirby vacuum supervisor was not impressed that we thought she forego the car, and should just fly the vacuum around since she already had one.
6. Kirby supervisors think you can't do math. When you can't afford $2600, they offer to let you make payments of $75...wait no for you $65 a month for 5 years. Wow, then we would get to pay $3900 for the convenience of paying it out. What a steal.
7. Some Kirby supervisors can't do reverse math. Jared counter offered, "$10 a month for 5 years." ($600) We could tell by the puzzled look on her face, it wasn't going to fly -- not unlike a Kirby vacuum.
8. When you aren't sold by the carpet cleaning demo, there's a DVD you get to watch.
9. Some kirby vacuum salesmen think that New Orleans is the same thing as Mobile, Alabama -- Mississippi side. We sincerely hope you get there one day Kirby man.
10. According to the supervisor, the carpet cleaning man accepts tips for a free carpet cleaning...in the amount of $2600.

2 comments:

Party of Two said...

I would LOVE a tip of $2600, hee hee.

Summer said...

Unfortunately the same thing happened to us. They were at our house for 3 hours and they only cleaned half a room when we were promised 2. I got screwed...Not to mention that after they made us take out our vacuum so they could let us know how horrible it was...it broke the next day. Interesting??? They stopped by yesterday and I yelled at them and told them to never come back again. Oh...the last time they came I was so mad that I called the number on the piece of paper and told them that they were going to charge us $2600 for it and how I know that my friend was only charged $950...not cool..they did offer me that price by the way. I was too mad to accept it.

Now you know how I feel about the Kirby PEOPLE...love the vacuum:)