Somehow I'm trying to ignore the fact that I'm having a baby in about 6 1/2 weeks, and my brain thinks I can completely do all the things I did before I was pregnant. After much thought, I bought a black crib, which I love...only to make the baby changing table completely stand out as the only brown thing in the room. Every other piece of furniture is black. I had some leftover paint from the other things I painted black, so I decided to paint up the changing table. After I put on the first coat of primer, I had the immediate feeling of, "what did I just do." Even though we've had this changing table/dresser combo since Adam was a baby, it was still in overall great shape. It's a nice piece of furniture that I was convinced I had completely ruined. Once I primed it, I was committed, so I had to keep going forward. I'm glad I did because after two coats of black paint, it matches beautifully, and I love it. In the middle of the painting process, my good friend Brandy gave me her glider rocking chair...which is awesome but, happens to not be black. You may come find that I have one thing that doesn't match in our nursery. She said I could paint it but, it may not happen.
Somehow I thought Spring Break would lend me time to do all the numerous projects I had lying around. I was not very good on estimating time frames. I did get the changing table painted, check. I also did some handpainted letters for her name that need to go on the wall. Project Hadley's room right on. Project Adam's room...up in flames! A couple of weeks ago, I rearranged Adam's room which meant rehanging shelves and things in new locations. In the process I noticed his bed was looking kind of scuffed and could use a paint job. I found the perfect color of gray navy from a bed I liked from landofnod.com. I thought since I'm going to paint his bed, why not do his bookshelf to match (and possible the shelves?) Somehow I thought I could do this all during spring break. I'm laughing at myself now because that would be quite a feat when I can easily get myself off the floor. His painting projects did not go as easily as the black changing table. I went to Home Depot, found several paint samples. Took them home to make sure it was the right color in the lighting of his room. Returned to Home Depot, bought paint. Got home, primed the bookshelf with leftover white primer I had. Let dry the recommended time, then painted one coat of paint on part of the bookshelf...only to notice my perfect shade of gray navy was showing up girly teal. Checked my purse for the paint sample only to realize I left it at the store. Went back to Home Depot to check if my preggo brain picked the wrong color, or if they mixed the color wrong. Found the right paint sample, they slapped down some paint, dried it to a perfect match. I'm looking at the paint sample and do not see a single bit of evidence of teal in it. The paint guy suggests gray primer since the blue is so dark. Buy more primer, go home, entire bookshelf gets re-primed. I'm now in the process of painting in 5 minute increments. Some spots have 2 coats, and it looks much better but, I can still see some turquoise undertones in the blue. Adam's bed has yet to be touched...and that's the one piece of furniture that needed paint the most. I'm going to let it dry thoroughly but, I might be returning for a new shade of blue. I hope I have time to finish this before Hadley makes her debut. Maybe at least this will give me something to do during my sleepless nights.
I'll add some pictures when I can actually get the rooms back together.
Tuesday, March 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment