So this morning, Adam has been particularly in a foul mood. I am met with opposition every time I ask him to pick up a toy, or his dirty underwear off the floor.
He whines, cries, followed by a long argument of "why, does he have to do it?" Usually there is an explanation that someone else played with it, or he was still going to wear that particular item of clothing, so he should be left alone to enjoy his Power Rangers movie for the 32nd time.
This morning, as Adam was eating his breakfast, I was washing dishes. I realized how unfair it is for me to have to wash bottles I don't drink from, as well as specialty plates designed for children that I don't use.
On purpose, I threw a ridiculous fit. I stomped my feet, I whined, I cried. I stated my case on the injustice of it all. I asked, to a surprised 5 year old, "Why do I have to clean this mess, I didn't make it?! It's not fair!!" I threw in an extra "Whaaaa!" for good measure.
He responded, "It is fair, because when you do service for others it makes you happy inside."
He's right. I plan on telling him exactly that next time he complains about helping out.
Monday, April 5, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Oh, that's good. Way to think that one through mom!!
I bet you can't wait to say it back to him.
What a cute little response from him though you know? You've raised him right it sounds like!! I'd be proud if I were you.
What a clever mom! Adam's response was pretty impressive.
You're such a smart mom!
Hahah that is awesome! I can imagine you doing that...great way to elicit learning from him. He is such a smart and funny little guy.
Post a Comment