Our cat Sigmund, who we affectionately refer to as Mr. Sigglesworth, has been with us for 9 years. He was the last one of the free kittens we got from complete strangers driving back to our little apartment. Now that he's an old man cat, he's not really the type to want to interact and play with our children. In fact, he has only recently forgiven us for having children and bringing them into his home. Siggy is just not an affectionate cat with anyone other than Jared. If I am lucky enough to have Sigmund sit next to me, he will immediately jump down if Jared enters the room. We have a secret relationship. I can hang out with him as long as I promise not to tell any of my friends.
I've been thinking for a while now that it would be nice to add to our feline family, especially with an animal that wasn't so bi-polar in his feelings about me.
Last week we were at a pet store, and really hit it off with one of the cats. We really considered adopting her, until we heard the utter ridiculousness from the worker of the rescue center.
"Do you own or rent?" We told her we own our own home. She responded, "we will verify this." as if we had been being dishonest. I wondered, how, are you going to show up to our house?
"You will need to meet in person and get approval from the cat's current foster mom." Wow.
"We will need a vet recommendation, in addition to two personal references not related to you." While I think it's annoying, I can understand the vet recommendation to make sure you are caring for your current animals. However, I can't imagine asking two friends to write a recommendation for me to get a pet. How would one even compose such a letter? "I didn't even know they had a cat, I guess if they haven't killed the first one in 9 years it would be okay to give them another one."
"This is not a cash and carry operation, you will not go home with an animal today. It's more like adopting a child." We have a soft spot in our hearts for animals. We understand how they become like family but, at the end of the day it's a cat. It is not the same thing as a human child.
Too bad for them, because we decided that really isn't the route we want to go to pursue a second animal. We would have given a good life long home to the little fur ball, but I just can't adopt from a place that practically has a home study.
It's probably for the best for the time being. Right now we have a cat. Once we get a second one, we become cat people...and it's all down hill from there.
Tuesday, June 12, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment