Friday, June 27, 2008

Summer Recipes

Kool-Aid Finger Paint

2 cups flour
2 packs unsweetened kool-aid
½ cup salt
3 cups boiling water
3 T. oil

Mix wet ingredients into dry. Once cool, paint away!

Scented Play-doh

1/2 packet kool-aid
1 cup flour
1/2 cup salt
2 tablespoons cream of tartar*
1 cups boiling water
1 tablespoons cooking oil

Mix dry ingredients together in pot, add the boiling water and oil. Stir over medium heat until it forms a ball.
Sub: 1 T. baking soda & 1 T. baking powder for cream of tartar.

Slimy Goop
1 part liquid starch
2 part Elmer’s glue
Food coloring (optional)

Mix all ingredients well.

Rubbery Goop

2 cups baking soda
1 ½ cup water
Cup cornstarch

Mix all in a saucepan over medium heat until mixture boils. Stir constantly until it is thick. Let the mixture cool.

Silly Putty

2 parts Elmer’s Glue All (not washable school glue)
1 part Sta-Flo Liquid Starch

Mix ingredients well
Sand Play-doh

4 cups clean play sand
3 cups flour
1 cup water
¼ cup vegetable oil

Knead with your hands until it forms a ball. Too dry, add water until it reaches a nice dough consistency. Add flour if it is too watery.

Sidewalk Paint

Sidewalk Chalk
Water
Stiff Brushes

Grate or smash sidewalk chalk into bits. Add ½ part water to 1 part chalk dust. Paint on sidewalk with stiff brush. Paint washes away with water.

Flubber:
Solution A:
1 ½ cup warm water
2 cups elmer’s glue
Food coloring
Solution B:
4 tsp. Borax
1/3 cup warm water

Mix solution A in one bowl, mix solution B in a separate bowl. Dissolve both well. Then just pour solution A into solution B. NO NOT MIX OR STIR! Just lift out the flubber. Store in Ziploc bags. Recipe can be halved.

3 comments:

The Reimers Family said...

Thanks for the good ideas!

Cynthia Lyn said...

I got the chalk, does it ruin the cheese grater? or do you have a better way to grate/chop it?

I recently realized that all those projects I was planning to do, havne't been done (at least not many) and summer is comming near an end :)!

Gwen said...

Not sure if it would ruin it because my cheese grater was already starting to rust in spots. We don't use ours for food anymore. I did see some cheese graters at our dollar store this week, so you could buy a cheap one and then it wouldn't matter. We have also rubbed the chalk against the side of our paintbrush to create the chalk dust. I always wanted to try to use a food processor but, I haven't come across one at resale shop yet. I don't have the guts to use my good one.