Friday, February 13, 2009

My Mother's Revenge

We've been having trouble in kid land lately. On numerous occasions this week Adam has tried to turn his room into a waterpark. When cups of water became off limits in his room, he decided surely it was alright to upgrade to a pitcher of water. I caught him wet handed with a half filled pitcher returning to his room. He neglected to tell me had already dumped 3 pitcher fulls in his window seat. (Why did we choose the room with a window seat for a him?-- the feature is totally wasted on the boy unless you count the times he has used it as a spring board to jump to his bed across the room.) I can only assume his hotwheels needed to go to the car wash. I made him clean up the mess, which now has the added mess of 5 drippy towels when I had just finished up laudry today. Since he's going to pappaw's tonight (which means he'll come back with King Adam status as the only local grandchild) I wanted him to clean his room. He is fighting it off with a vengeance. As I was putting away my own laundry I heard him say, "Stupid Mommy" in response. When I asked him about it, of course he wouldn't come clean. He said, "All I said was yes mommy." We went on and on and he finally spit out the truth. Since he said a bad word (stupid is a bad word in our house when you are 4) and he wasn't honest he had a dose of the naughty word medicine. I just had a flashback of my own childhood where my mother was making me eat stew, which I still despise to this day. Even the sound of it -S-T-E-W -- it even sounds gross. I was giving my mother a time of it. She told me I couldn't leave the table until I ate it. I went on and on about how great it was that I was getting to watch tv past my bedtime (thanks to open concept layouts.) Her final straw was to tell me I'd be having it for breakfast if I didn't eat up. She went into the next room and under my breath I muttered, "You witch." She tore out of that room and I knew I was in big trouble. Today my mother got her revenge.

On a side note...I also remember my mother saying "I hope you have two kids just like you" Now that I'm pregnant, that's quite frightening.

1 comment:

The Reimers Family said...

Doesn't that stink, the other night Carson was delirious and screaming while throwing punches at me saying, I wanna punch you, mama! Not one of those moments where you appreciate your role as a mother.