Thursday, September 24, 2009

The Subsitute Teacher

I've been substitute teaching a lot lately. It's actually been fun to be around pther people's kids again, but every day I've been reminded of how much I have forgotten since elementary school.

This week I had to ask the neighboring teacher what a preticate is.

Last week I subbed for a 1st grade bilingual class. The assignment was to write their Spanish spelling words two times each. Looking at the list I realized I possessed far less knowledge than a group of six year olds.

I had them tell me the meaning of each word, you know, to review their translation skills.

I did take a few years of Spanish in high school and college, so I was confident in my ability to use the correct pronunciation as I read down the list of Spanish words. I racked my brains when I came to the last word, "puma." For the life of me I couldn't think of what this Spanish word could be. Finally, I asked the kids, now what is this word, "puma"? I assure you it was prounounced with bilingual gusto.

The answer, "you know, it's a big, black cat that lives in the jungle."

Keep in mind, I am certified to teach in the state of Texas.

2 comments:

ColleenandKendra said...

You really need to get on the BISD list so I can use you. Kendra's been sick and we've been home for two days. My subs have been less than stellar. Got word today via email that my room looks like a bomb hit it. Joy.

Melinda said...

LOL...you are too funny! I am so thankful for the subbing you have done for me! It is so nice to have someone dependable who leaves things so organized! See you tomorrow - hopefully it goes better than the last time in the same class!