Thursday, January 28, 2010

Cheap Crochet Headbands

A few months ago I did a post on how to modify these crochet headbands if you have a Sam Moon nearby. I found an easier, cheaper, & better quality way that I thought I'd share. Hobby Lobby now carries crochet ribbon in their ribbon department. It cost .99 a yard, and is available in pink, black, & white. The ribbon was 30 percent off this week, so each headband cost me about 30 cents to make.


Step 1: Cut ribbon. Fold right sides together. Sew edges together.
I sewed up and down this about 3 times.

Step 2: Open up the headband, and sew down the edges that kind of want to stick up.
Be sure to use a coordinating thread. Trim the threads & your done!

Sizes:
These sizes are very forgiving. To get the best fit, measure your child's head, and subtract 1-2 inches. Cut your ribbon that length & then sew.
Or estimate:
15" fits a 9 mos. old with plenty of room to stretch. The 15" size also worked well on a toddler.
14" is a good fit for a 9 mos. old.
11-12" is perfect hospital newborn size.

This was a super easy project. I made 8 of them in less than 15 minutes total. Which was great because I needed a break from the minky hell of another project. You can hot glue a ribbon strip to the center to add a bow on, but I found with experience it's just as easy to skip that step and use the holes in the crochet head band.

1 comment:

Anne said...

Look at you go!! LOL
Maybe you should make a bunch and sell them to Kid to Kid... or on Craigslist :)

Wish I had a girl :(