My good friend Brandy W. gave me this recipe a few years back. This is a cold salad. I brought it to baby shower and it was gobbled up so fast! Jared & I love this, but I will warn you, you're kids will turn up their noses and tell you it is disgusting. You might want to prepare some PB&J for them and enjoy their portions.
The recipe says it serves 13, but I'd say more like 10 if you are serving snack sized portions, and serves 5-6 if you are serving dinner sized servings. We had ours with almond crackers. Yum!
Ingredients:
Juice of 1 lemon
1 red pepper diced
3 oz. snow peas ends removed
4 green onions chopped
3 chicken breasts cooked & diced
1 cup pecans toasted and chopped
2 avocados diced
red leaf lettuce for garnish -optional
Dressing:
2 cloves garlic minced
1 tbs dijon style mustard
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/3 cup seasoned rice vinegar
1/3 cup vegetable oil
Directions:
Cook the rice according to the package, but reduce water by 1/3 cup to prevent overcooking and the rice getting too mushy. Salad looks best with a firmer grain. Cool rice. Combine remaining ingredients except for the pecans and avocados. Prepare dressing by combining all ingredients in a blender and blending until emulsified. Pour over rice mixture and mix well. Refrigerate 2 to 4 hours or overnight. Just before serving add pecans and avocado. Serve on bed of red leaf lettuce.
What I did different:
- I'm not a fan of snow peas, so we didn't have them.
- I had already chopped my red & green pepper earlier in the week and they got all mixed together, so my recipe had both.
- I only used 2 large chicken breasts because that's what I had defrosted. It was plenty for us, but you might like more chicken.
- I also completely missed the part about adding 1/3 cup less water, so I didn't do it and it was fine. Probably not as firm, but still tasty.

1 comment:
I can vouch for this...it is awesome. My friends from my baby shower still talk about how good this is...you are known to all as "the girl that made that awesome salad."
Post a Comment