Sunday, August 7, 2011

The Physician's Assistant


This past week, I had my year check up with my oncologist.

Dr. M, my oncologist, is a gray haired man that reminds me of someone's grandfather. He goes straight to the point, and doesn't mess around. His vocabulary is far more advanced than mine. He speaks to me by using words such as "nodules" and "nebulous."

I dread these appointments. Aside from the whole cancer thing, It's difficult to discuss such personal issues, with an older man, when one us isn't wearing our pants. I know no woman enjoys those types of exams. I suppose I'm fortunate enough to be able to have "mine" checked out quarterly. I don't even change the oil in my car that often.

As added bonus this week, Dr. M had a female P.A. he was training. She sat in our conversation, as well as the exam. If the exam is not awkward enough, Dr. M took extra time so he could show off my area, and describe in great detail (with excellent vocabulary), to his trainee. She was nice enough, but it's not the time one wants an audience.

Finally, Dr. M tapped me on the knee and said that I could sit up. In that moment of sweet relief, I see the P.A. has slipped on a pair of gloves and asked if she could also examine me. I know from my education background, that students learn best with hands on experience. What was I going to do? She already had her gloves on. I laid back down and hummed the Star Spangled Banner. Awkward.

All I know is I'd better not get charged twice.

4 comments:

Laura said...

That gave me a good laugh because I've totally been there after going through infertility treatments. One doctor made Daniel come over to take a look at my cervix even after he tried to get out of it. Another really embarrassing time was right before the egg retrieval I sat in a room with my legs wide open while about 5 nurses sat and had a conversation with me for a good 10 minutes. Oh and they were all at my feet while I was showing them everything! It was so embarrassing and awkward!!!

Erin said...

Oh my gosh, that story is terrifying! As if those visits aren't bad enough. You should have asked for a discount, haha.

Tina said...

HA, HA, HA, HA!! Oh my Gwen! That is hilarious! I'm so sorry. I hate getting checked. Even when pregnant or delivering when it is "normal". I hope everything continues to check out perfectly!!!

Maria said...

Lol Gwen, you are a great story teller-I'm sorry you had such a story to tell! How awkward, well you were a good sport. I'm so glad you;re doing well!