1/2 yard of fabric
1 leg of a pair of adult jeans (avoid skinny leg & excessively flared jeans. Straight leg & men's work best)
denim sewing needle
denim colored thread
thread to coordinate with your fabric
Cut:
-selvage while fabric is folded in half. You'll end up losing a smidge extra of good fabric on one side, but it makes your life easier if you can keep the fold crease.
-two 5" strips to the edge of your fabric
-two pockets 6 3/4" (h) x 6" (w)
-Cut one leg of jeans below the knee, or below any hole in the knee. Mine is 14"
- Seam rip the interior seam open carefully, and you'll be able to use the factory serged seams on the sides.
- This is where I learned flare jeans are not the best, it's workable, just not as tidy at the end. There is extra fabric on one side, I just folded it under at the crease on the right side, and have a little extra fabric on the back of one side. Whatever you choose, fold under raw edges 1/4" ish, and sew in place. You can cut & square up the sides so they are even all the way down. Then fold under the raw edges and sew. It's really forgiving, so just do what works for you.
- Note -- Be extra careful anywhere you have multiple layers of jeans folded. It's a nightmare for your needle. I stopped sewing just before I got to the bottom of the jeans because I didn't want to sew through the factory hem.
The waistband strip. Take your 42" piece in the middle. Sew one 21" strip to the right side, and one 21" strip to the left side. You should end up with a very long strip, approximately 84" minus seam allowances. (You could absolutely skip the step above of cutting the one section in half, and just sew two 42" pieces together. You will see a seam in the middle, front of your apron if you do it that way. In this method seams are more hidden tied behind you.)
On this next part - -I'm sure there is an easier way to get the strap to the denim, but I was copying a friend's apron and this is the way it was done. Use what method works best for you.
With wrong sides together, start at one end and sew 1/4 inch until 1" of your pencil mark. Flip it around and do the other side. You should have an open section in the middle. Now pull the the right sides out of each "tube" until all of your fabric is right side out.
Stick your denim into the open hole of your strap. Pin in place and sew closed. Check to make sure you caught both sides of the strap.
Pockets:
-Sew across the tops only to hold down the fold.
- Pin in place (where ever you like them) & sew them down.
Trim your threads, you are done!

1 comment:
I have seriously been thinking about that very thing! I need a place to put remote controls (because I put them down everywhere) and other random things I use or collect every day. You would not believe how many times I get home and find that stuff in my pockets!
Post a Comment