Sunday, March 21, 2010

Adam's Bed

During Spring Break I thought I'd get to some of those projects that I'd been neglecting. I've been wanting to update Adam's bed. This bed was given to us by family, and it is the perfect bed for a rough, little boy. It's solid wood so he can climb all over it and it's not going to fall apart. We love it. However, it's been through a couple of boys, so the finish has been taking a bit of a beating.

I thought I'd offer a before, during, & after tutorial for painting furniture. I'm no expert, this is the way that works for me.
Ideally, I would start by sanding everything, but someone stole my sander when I left the garage open. I wasn't up to sanding this beast by hand. It's better if you don't skip this step. (I slightly regretted it later when I got a few knicks.) Be sure to prop the bottom of the furniture to keep the legs from sticking to the floor when you paint.

2 coats of Glidden Gripper Gray Primer (Home Depot)

topped with 2 coats of polycrylic (Home Depot).

Let each layer dry before adding the next coat. (Each coat took about 30 minutes, then hours for drying) Read directions on can for drying times. This took me all week to really make sure everything was dry before moving on to the next step.

The protective top coat is a polycrylic from Home Depot. I wasn't crazy about it. It was really runny, and showed all my brush strokes when dry. The satin finish was too shiny, so I'd try something else in the future.

1 comment:

Tina said...

Hey Gwen, those two projects look great and now you have matching blue in his room. What a great way to spend your spring break.
Mine was spent painting my house and it is still not finished. You'll have to see it tomorrow when you come for piano.