Thursday, July 22, 2010

Confetti Blessings

(Read the prior post first)

Last month we attended church while visiting family for our nephew's blessing. The sister teaching the lesson during Sunday school mentioned that her blessings were like confetti. It reminded me when I was growing up and my step-sister had a "game" we played with confetti. We cut up strips of construction paper into tiny squares of homemade confetti. We filled our lunch bags with the small pieces. On command, we would throw our confetti at each other and watch as it filled every square inch of the room. This was a huge mess to clean up, but it was so much fun we would search and pick up each piece and do it again. I think our family's blessings are also like confetti. We have a bagful of tiny pieces of blessings, and at times we may have to search for them, but when we take the time to look they are all around us like confetti.

We feel so blessed as a family. We are already starting to see that things we didn't understand to be the hand of God in our lives.

I know better why our house deal feel through and why I felt prompted to not accept the teaching job. It was a series of frustrations at the time. Now, I am grateful that we get to stay in OUR house. This is the house we brought our children home to, this is the home their growth measurements are marked on the inside of their closet doors. This is the house that I picked out carpet, tile, cabinets, and paint. This is the house where we have prepared nightly dinners, dyed Easter eggs, had birthday parties, and set up a Christmas tree. We have so many memories and this feels like home.

I was awakened from a sense of apathy in my everyday life. I now cherish every mundane task with my children. I say, "yes" more. We have built forts, I've read extra stories, I played legoes, listened intently to tales of bakugan, have given more kisses, and played games. I let Hadley go wild in my jewelry drawer, and take out & play with all the bracelets.

Jared has been amazing to me. He is my rock, when I'm blubbering all the time. He reassures me, and I don't know how I got so lucky to find him.

We have friends and family that love and support us. I am so grateful for your words of encouragement and offering to help our family.

Last year my mom felt that it was time to move to Texas, after living in Georgia for 10 years. I know in part, this is for me. I am sure she could not have anticipated what lay ahead, but having her nearby will be a huge help to our family.

I have been re-establishing my testimony on eternal families. I find great comfort in knowing that no matter what, one day we will be together again as a family. I know our journey doesn't end here.

Health is a blessing, and when my health is returned I will understand that more fully.

On a not so serious note, I have also found the perfect combination of mono & stress of cancer will help you lose that last bit of baby weight. Little known secret.

6 comments:

Erin said...

You have an inspiring attitude Gwen! I am so sorry to hear of your health problems and will pray for your recovery. I'm glad your mom is there to help you through it. I'd be happy to bring you dinner, just let me know which night you need it on.

ColleenandKendra said...

As I was reading the first post, I kept thinking...this is why she didn't take the job, this is why they didn't sell the house. You are so strong and I know you can get through this. I'll be there to help however I can.

Tina said...

Oh Gwen! I cracked up at that last paragraph. I'll have to keep that in mind next time I have a baby!! You're so funny!
I'm so happy that you are looking at the positive side to this. Your testimony is so strong!
You are amazing to me. Remember, I'm just a few blocks away and can help at the drop of the hat... anytime!!

Tassia said...

Once again, Gwen, you're amazing!

Jessica said...

Love you Gwen...so sorry you're going through this. We are all praying for you and your family.
It's good to see your signature humor through this.
Let us know how we can help. When treatment begins, please give your mom and Jared my #...I'm available for last minute child care anytime.

Maria said...

Gwen my dear friend. I am so sorry that you and your sweet family are going through this. I prayed for you as soon as I read this and again tonight. I will pray for you regularly! Wow Heavenly Father has been putting certain things and promptings in place for you to be able to better deal with this for sure. Your ability to see that and share is so inspiring to me. your awesome sense of humor as Jessica said is still there and good to see. You inspire me! You are such a great person, mom, and friend. I wish I wasn't so far...I would totally cool some meals for you and help in any way I could! But you will have my prayers-lots of them! I love you and I'm here for you!