Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The Hoo-hah Report July 27, 2010

We are in the hurry up and wait stage of the cancer game. Last week things were moving at an alarming rate, and now we are waiting for the next tests to be done and come up with a game plan for treatment. I feel we are in the calm before the storm.

I will have a pet CT scan on Wednesday morning. (Jared let me know I had called it the wrong test in a previous post.) I am told I will ingest a dye (or maybe it is put in by IV -- a little hazy on the details) and I will sit for an hour to absorb the dye, and then have the 20 minute scans. The following day I will meet with my oncologist at 2:15 pm and discuss the findings and how to move forward.

I am anticipating Thursday will be an emotional day, as it will be the real deal of what's going on. I will post information as soon as I am up to it.

In the meantime I have been searching out the role of deficiencies and diet play in cancer.

I have found sugar feeds cancer, so I will be doing all I can to eradicate it from my life. So far, it has not even been a struggle. I know I am blessed in this. Up until last week I had a fairly severe Dr Pepper addiction. (It is the celestial drink -- well aside from the pesky little side effect it may give you cancer) I have tried unsuccessfully in the past to get off "the sauce" By mid day I would typically have such severe headaches I would fall back into the caffeine routine. Anyone who knows me knows that I have to have something sweet every day. I have not had any struggles with not having these things. I am grateful to be spared from that!

I plan to eliminate the bad things and focus on the good in all aspects of my life. As far as diet, I have & will continue to focus on more natural foods. Raw vegetables & fruit (more veggies than fruit), whole grains, nuts, and sparingly eat lean meats. This will definitely be an adjustment for our family.

I am also researching the role of Vitamin D deficiency in cancer. I'm at the baby steps stage, but hope to have more information going forward.

6 comments:

Tina said...

My prayers and thoughts will be with you this week.

Jessica said...

Thanks for keeping us updated. I've been wondering how you're holding up.
I've held off on calling because I didn't know if you were up to talking about everything, but I'm here if you need anything. (I'm even keeping the phones charged up lately!)

Maria said...

It was nice to talk to you today, Gwen. Thanks for all the information too that you shared with me about diet and vitamin deficiencies. Very good info. I am here for you anytime, and my prayers and thoughts are and will be with you too! Thanks for keeping us updated too. I'm sending good thoughts your way!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like your nutrition plan came straight from The Word of wisdom! Where is the "Like" button? You are a rock Gwen, and everyday our family prays for you and your family. YOU will kick this things' butt and come out a champion!

-Dan Benintendi

Tassia said...

Here for ya Gwen! Love your GUTS!!! Let me know what I can do to help. :)

The Reimers Family said...

Gwen, I am so sorry, I just caught up on your blog. My prayers will be with you and your family.