Yesterday, I went for the scan. I was upset because I had thought Jared would be able to sit with me the hour prior to the scan to help calm my nerves. What I didn't realize was that I was injected with a radioactive solution and no one could be around me, because I was radioactive. The good news is that the nurse said I was "pretty hot." Even though I know it was in reference to the solution, I'll take compliments where I can get them.
After my pity party of being left alone in a room, I realized that I'd better take advantage of the time, and put my feet up and read a magazine for the remaining 45 minutes uninterrupted. Every mom likes a break, I just didn't know I'd have to get cancer to get it.
Today, was the day I was most nervous about. This was the day we were meeting with the oncologist. He would have the scan results and it would be the real deal. I was terrified that it would say the cancer had spread, and I was just as afraid of not knowing. I was very much relieved to find that the cancer is contained.
Going forward, I have surgery on August 10. Due to the size of the tumor, the oncologist wants to follow up with chemo and radiation to kill off any cancer that may be hiding out macroscopically. Luckily, I am told this form of chemo will be the kind where I don't lose my hair! I know it is completely vain considering how serious the situation, but it feels like a small victory.
There is definitely a road ahead of us of treatments, recovery, and lifestyle adjustments. We just keep taking each day as it comes. We are thrilled & relieved by the news that this is treatable, and that I should be around for a long time.

9 comments:
Oh Gwen,
I am so glad it is contained. And by the way... you are hot. You would be even without hair.
Paige
http://theperezfamily-dylanandpaige.blogspot.com/
I am so happy you got the best report possible! Let me know when you need a mommy break!
What fantastic news! I'm here for you if you need me for anything! And yes, you are certainly a Hot Mama! :-)
Prayers were said and prayers were heard and then prayers were answered!!!!!
I'm so excited for the good news and YES you can be vain and be happy you will still have your hair. I give you full permission!!
I've been thinking about you TONS these past two days and I'm so happy you posted the news!
That is such great news Gwen!
What wonderful news! I am so glad to hear you will keep your hair. Though, if anyone could pull off a bald head and still look hot, it'd be you. Wink! Wink! :)
Gwen, that is so great that it is contained! Thank God! Also, that is great you get to keep your hair-what a bonus huh?! I totally get it about not wanting to lose it, I don't think you're vain. Although I am sure you would look great no matter what! I am so happy to hear you will be around for a long long time! YAY!!!!
Gwen...please let me know if you need any meals or want to let me take the kiddos..or anything else desired! ;o)...and you are ToTaLLy hot! xo
Your pics look great!!! Your hair has gotten so long!
Post a Comment