Monday, August 17, 2009

Cutting Back

Jared & I have realized that there are things that are sucking our time & our money away from us. We've each challenged ourselves to cut back on a personal "excess" this week. Jared decided he was not going to watch any tv for an entire week. (I can't help but notice this isn't on a UFC week.) I don't watch tv the same way Jared does. I rarely sit down and just watch tv. The tv may be on but, I'm folding laundry, feeding kids, doing dishes, etc. So for me, it's not such a time-sucker. I'm trying to support him in his efforts and watch it less as well. Really, in the summer most things are re-runs anyway. It's sad that we still watch something that we've seen before, could quote lines from the episode, and predict the ending. It's been nice to not have the background noise of the tv while we are eating dinner or doing other family things together. Jared has already noticed that he has more time to things then he previously thought he did.

I am a fast food addict, mostly for it's convenience and my desire to get out the house once a day. My challenge is to not eat out for an entire week. Not even a quick Dr. Pepper from McDonald's. (Which by the way, the new one at Heritage Trace charges $1.99 for a large DP.) I've decided I can still have any food/drink I want but, I've got to go to the store and buy it. I'm embarrassed to say that I spent $46.19 on food & drinks at fast food places last week. It was always $5-$10 a time, but it adds up. It seems to me to be a ridiculous amount when you consider that's a little less than half our grocery budget for the week. I know sometimes it's necessary to eat on the road but, my goal this week is to do better about planning ahead so we can eat something at home, or something from home on the road. I'm trying to do better about planning actual activities instead of using the drive-thru as an excuse to get out of the house. If I can make it an entire week Jared is going to take me to a nice dinner this weekend for date night.

4 comments:

Tassia said...

Lance and I need to work on our fast food habits as well. We used to be really good about it, but our good habits were squashed the last trimester of me being pregnant and we have yet to get back on track. :(

The Reimers Family said...

You can so do it! Good luck and good for you realizing that there are things taking away your time!

Party of Two said...

You can always come swimming over here! We have the crib/bassinet set up so Hadley can sleep and Adam can swim and you are out of the house! :o)

Brandy said...

You inspired me. I was out running errands today (kid free even) and do you know how difficult it was to pass up Sonic? Me and my waist line thank you for your inspiration.