Tuesday, August 18, 2009

I'm my new favorite restauarant

I've done really well at eating at home. Tonight I made an awesome meal from my friend's Summer's blog. I modified a few things based what I had on hand. Summer calls this a Hawaiian meal. I have dubbed it the diabetes starter kit because there is a ton of sugar in all of it, which is why it is so delicious.

Check out her blog first to see the real way to do it. Here are my modifications. You are supposed to use sweetened condensed milk in the coconut bread. A full can cost over $1.50 but, you only need 3 tbs of it. I didn't have any use for the rest of it right now and didn't want to spend the money when I would only need a small amount. I know, I am a cheapskate. I just upped the sugar I had on hand, and it still tasted amazing.

Hawaiian Coconut Bread:
This stuff is amazing!!
1 pkg. of Sis. Shubert's yeast rolls
10 oz. of Coconut Milk (buy two 13 oz cans total if you plan on making rice too)
1 cup white sugar
1-2 tbsp brown sugar
* mix coconut milk & sugar together and pour over rolls. Cook in oven per package directions. This makes a ton of milk, I just used the extra for the rice.

Coconut Rice
1 pkg. boil in bag rice
1 quart of coconut milk & water (I used 1 new can, the remainder from the rolls that already had sugar added & finished the rest of the quart off with water)
dash of salt
* cook rice in coconut milk, water, & salt

Grilled Pineapple:
Check out Summer's Blog for directions.

Chicken Kabobs:
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Lawry's (liquid) Teriyaki marinade (already includes pineapple juice used in Summer's Recipe)
1 pineapple (I used some of the grilled pineapple from above)
1 pepper (and any other veggies you like: squash, red onion, mushrooms, etc)
2 TB brown sugar *optional

Cut chicken breasts into chunks and add to marinade & sugar for 3 hours. Cut pineapples and vegetables into chunks and skewer, alternating with chicken. Grill until chicken is cooked through.

*Instead of grilling kabobs & pineapple I just threw them on a cookie sheet lined with foil. I cooked it at 350 until chicken was done about 15-20 minutes.

I can't wait to eat this for lunch tomorrow! It sure makes eating at home easier.

No comments: