Earlier in the day the nurse wanted to phase me out of my morphine drip, and started giving me a pill instead. Which I was fine with. The pill took the edge off for about 3 hours, but I start hurting the last hour I have to wait to get a new pill. It never took my pain completely away.
I wasn't due a pill until 10:30 pm last night. So I waited up to get it so I could go to sleep. After falling asleep, I was woken up at 11:30 pm to have my vitals checked, and to remove the tape over my incision (seriously could this not wait until morning?) At 1 am I was checked on again. At 2 am I woke up in a lot of pain, and had to wait until 2:30 am for my pain pill.
This time the pill just didn't seem to work or even take the edge off. The pain got more and more severe. My entire body ached down to my kneecaps. Luckily from the kneecaps down I'm 100 percent. I've got a terrible headache and backache. I've got a sore throat and I feel like someone has punched me in the sides of my jaw. I could not find a comfortable position in bed, so I started slowly walking the halls. It helped knock down my pain level one point, but I was still in quite a bit of pain.
I got the feeling the night nurses don't like patients to just go wandering the halls. I felt a little bit like a child that gets up in the night and is sent back to bed. Finally, at 3:45 am the nurse gave me a shot of morphine in my IV port which is finally helping dull the pain. I still hurt, but it's not as severe.
I finally fell asleep to be woken up at 5 am for blood to be drawn. I fell asleep again, to be woken up at 6:20 am to remove my catheter. I fell asleep again, only to be woken up at 7:15 am to choose what I wanted for lunch and dinner. What do I want for lunch and dinner, how about a nap? This is getting ridiculous.
I'm hoping I still get to come home today and sleep in my own bed without someone waking me up hour of the nigth. I hope my night time pain won't delay me going home. I think I'll do better without all the interruptions and hoses stuck to me.

6 comments:
I am sorry you had a rough night. Hospitals are a horrible place to recover in. They seem to have not gotten the memo that sleep aids in recovery.
Oh Gwen that sounds horrific!! I'm so sorry you are in so much pain and those darn nurses... tell them to leave you alone this morning for three hours so you can sleep!!!!
I think they do all that so it makes you wont to go home. Hospitals are not a place for rest that is for sure.
I'm so sorry to hear you are having all that pain, Gwen. That sounds awful. Hopefully they send you home with lots and lots of pain meds. That is crazy how often you were awakened...seriously how are you supposed to get and stay asleep and thus heal??? Home will be nicer:-)
Oh Gwen. What a night. I sure hope you are home and able to get some rest!!! Let me know if the kids need to come over for a playdate. :)
I'm sorry. some times people at the hospitals need to work on their bedside manner. I mean, come on! let you sleep as much as you can!!!!
Post a Comment