I spent 2 days in the hospital and have been able to continue recuperating at home. Jared stayed home a couple of days taking care of my every whim as well as helping me walk/hobble around. I meet with the oncologist next Wednesday and we should have a better idea of treatment for round 2. I will have 4-8 weeks of recovery before having to do chemo & radiation.
Overall, I'm doing well for someone who just had surgery 7 days ago. I do get tired easily, and need several naps during the day. There have been several occasions recently where I have just fallen asleep while I was sitting on the couch. Other than that I've gotten my appetite back, I can walk around for short distances, and have my post-operative pain under control. I still have pain, but it's very manageable, especially with medicine.
My mom was here the last couple of days until we both realized that recovery and young kids don't mix. As much as Adam loves his legos, there are only so many hours he can stay in his room playing with them. I know he's bored out of his mind since we can't go anywhere and there is no way I can sit on the floor and play with him for hours. He's been very understanding & gentle with me. He's been very careful not to be rough or jump on me. But being cooped up inside at home is wearing on him as well, as he has increased his tantrums.
Hadley on the other hand does not understand how to be gentle with me. Her favorite things are to climb on the couch, then onto me and bounce, bounce, bounce, hop off and climb back on again. Then she will fetch her toys and THROW them onto my head just as I'm dozing off on the couch. She does this repeatedly with great joy.
My mom offered this morning to take the kids back to her house for a couple of days. As much as I want to have them around, I am physically not up being mom. At Grandma Cherrie's they can have a lot more fun, and I can get a lot more rest. I figured I'd better take her up on it. On Monday Adam starts kindergarten and we will be more on a schedule.
So I'm doing pretty good, trying to take it easy.

5 comments:
That's a GREAT idea! You shouldn't even think twice about sending the kids to Grandma's for a couple days. The quality of rest is important for a speedy recovery. I think every mom would agree that it's impossible to be a mom at rest when the kids are around. :) Let me know what I can do to help.
I agree! You need to rest, and if that means you mom should take the kids for a couple days, then do it. Grandma can spoil them for a couple days. Give you some rest, and hopefully, you will feel more phisicailly able to be mom again when they come back.
That's very good--you need your rest to recover. I would do the same thing. Besides, I bet they are having a lot of fun with Grandma and she must be loving all the time with her grandchildren. Win-win!
I'm so glad you are doing better. The kids will have fun at Grandma's, so it's a win/win! You need to build your strength so you can take Adam to his first day of school. :)
Wow, Gwen I just read all of your latest post and got caught up on what was going on. You are such a strong person, hang in there. I think your family is amazing to help out so much, what a blessing they are. I
Post a Comment